Trojans drop first soccer match of season


MATHEWS – Central Lafourche High School headed into Tuesday’s boys’ soccer match with some momentum.

The Trojans entered the match ranked No. 2 in the Division I state poll and were coming off a first-place finish at the Fontainebleau Tournament.

On Tuesday, the Trojans lost that momentum with a 4-3 loss to ninth-ranked Brother Martin. It was the Trojans’ first loss of the season.

The Crusaders took advantage of a slow start by the Trojans (9-1-1) to take a 2-1 halftime lead.

Thirteen minutes into the second half, Brother Martin increased its lead to 4-1, before Central Lafourche scored two goals in a five-minute span in an effort to come back.

“We can’t expect to show up to a game thinking we’re going to win no matter what.” Trojans coach Dennis Blanchard said. “This was something to learn from tonight.”

It didn’t take long for the Crusaders to take a 1-0 lead. Just four minutes into the game Jason Gray put in a rebound following Central Lafourche’s attempt to clear a Brother Martin throw-in from danger. Gray found the ball sitting around the penalty mark and shot it into the left corner.

Neither team seriously threatened again until the sixteenth minute when each team netted goals.

Brother Martin increasing its lead to 2-0 when Robert Smith took a shot following a ricochet off a Trojan defender.

Less than a minute later, William Wilson made the score 2-1 on a penalty kick after Adam Benoit was fouled in the box.

The teams went into halftime with the score 2-1, but just 30 seconds into the second half, the Crusaders increased their lead to 3-1.

Smith scored his second goal of the game after stealing the ball from a CL defender and dribbling through the defense, creating an opportunity from close range. Smith shot past Central Lafourche’s oncoming goalkeeper, Aaron Autin.

Two minutes later, Benoit got off a hard shot for the Trojans, but a diving Mark Colomb saved it.

Brother Martin pushed ahead, 4-1 in the fifty-third minute on a penalty kick by Gray — his second goal of the game.

Two minutes later, the Trojans got a spark when Wilson found the back of the net for a second time.

The 20-yard blast off of a free kick made the score 4-2.

Five minutes later, Justin Richardson pulled the Trojans within one when he scored by following on a cross shot, making it 4-3.

The Trojans had prime opportunities to knot up the score in the final 20 minutes. One such opportunity came off a Shaun Foret cross shot that was misjudged by Colomb, but the Crusaders’ defense cleared it.

With nine minutes left in the match, Wilson rocketed a shot from just outside the 18-yard box that hit off of the crossbar. The Trojans attempted to put back the rebound but was denied by Colomb.

CL had another opportunity with five minutes remaining when Benoit’s half volley from the 6-yard box sailed over an open goal. With seconds remaining in the game, the Trojans had a corner kick, but couldn’t convert on the set play.

“In the first half we let them do a number of things.” Blanchard said. “The second half was a little different, and it showed.”

Blanchard also said that a failure to finish on solid scoring opportunities in the second half was a factor in the loss.

Jana King and Davina Phillips combined for seven saves as the Lady Griffins beat E.D. White Catholic Tuesday in Thibodaux. Kodi Bethay had two goals for Dutchtown.